Saturday, May 19, 2012

Easy Recipes For Kids: Pasta In Potato & Carrot Soup


Whenever I’m out of idea on what to cook for the frap, carrots and potatoes are always my go-to ingredients. Always. Maybe because that's what my grandma used to cook for us as children. Ah, comfort food. 

Here’s a super simple recipe, erm, it’s hardly a recipe! But it tastes great, Frappy finished her first bowl and requested a second!

Pasta in Potato & Carrot Soup

Ingredients:

1 stick carrot, cubed
2 potatoes, cubed
1 tomato, cubed OR a spoon of tomato paste
1 piece of skinless chicken thigh, cut
1 cup of shell pasta
3/4 saucepan of water

1. While boiling water in a medium sized saucepan, prep and clean up the chicken thigh. When the water boils, put the chicken in the saucepan and bring to boil.

2. Add in the carrots and the potatoes. Reduce the heat to low, and let simmer for 60 to 90 minutes. I didn’t have tomatoes, so I added a spoonful of tomato paste. Season with a little salt.

3. Come meal time, add in the pasta and let cook until al dente. Serve. (The Chinese in me like to add a dash of soy sauce in my clear soups, it gives it a sweet boost, somehow!)

What did I say? Is it simple or simple? Haha! You can always add celery, cabbage, peas, onion, and bacon (I'd sweat the diced onion and cook the bacon for a coupla minutes before adding the chicken and other root veges, and then water/stock), or whatever ticks your interest, to make it more flavourful and wholesome. I think this soup is somewhat like minestrone? Tis a chinese version! Haha. Anyway it goes wonderful with baguette and toasts, too! Or rice!!! YUM! Bon appétit!


No comments: